Saturday, January 7, 2012

Interview with Chandra

Since I joined the blogosphere, the one blog that has always been a favorite is the More Modern Modesty blog by Chandra. I absolutely LOVE her blog! She's modest, and has a unique sense of style. She also loves shoes, which makes her a soul sister. Oh, and a big plus, she loves a BARGAIN! So I decided that since this blog is for all of us Pentecostal girls and us girls that are trying to be modest, I would interview her. Enjoy! and stop on over to her blog.

Why did you decide to start a blog on modesty?
I initially just wanted to start a fashion blog. I then realized that I could be a "little different" if I called it a "modest fashion blog". I've been blogging since 2003 about various topics (mainly my personal life, my social work career, and then about life as a teacher), but never about fashion or clothes. I liked reading blogs but realized that I never really "identified" with the bloggers. When they discussed makeup, jewelry, or trends involving revealing attire I realized that I had could gain no inspiration from these types of blogs. I never longed to be like these bloggers, nor did I long to change my outward appearance to fit in with mainstream trends. Instead, I figured the better thing to do would be to start a blog featuring clothes that I did wear. The blogosphere is huge and I just knew that somewhere out in internetland there would be other girls and ladies that identified with me--and I was right!

Why do you choose to dress modestly?
I was born and raised in an Apostolic household and I was taught that skirts were for ladies and pants were for men (among other Biblical and church standards). I went to church every Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday and the clothes I wore were modest because my mother bought them and my father approved of them. I went to a public school from kindergarten through 12th grade and every year the same questions were asked, "Why do you wear a skirt? Do you sleep in a skirt? Aren't you hot? Aren't you cold? How can you run like that? Do you take showers in a skirt?" Depending on my mood I would respond with, "Because my pastor tells me to" or "Because I want to" or "No, I'm not hot. Are you hot when you wear your pants?" It wasn't until I was in 7th grade when I got a true revelation about modest attire and why it was the best way for a Christian lady to dress. I can't pinpoint the exact reason as to WHY my mindset changed, but it did. One morning I woke up and decided that I was going to dress modestly because I wanted to and because God wanted me to dress that way.

What has been the biggest struggle for you when it comes to dressing modestly? How did you overcome it?
My height can be an issue at times. I'm five feet eight inches tall and every now and then dresses and skirts will be above the knee. I simply layer (alot)--skirts under dresses, dresses as skirts, skirts as dresses, slip extenders, and letting hems out. Other than that I try not to make dressing modestly too much of a struggle. When you want to dress modestly--you will. Nothing will stop you.

Who instilled the values of modesty in you?
My late pastor, Rev. Paul F. Wilson, my mother, my father, and all of my Sunday school teachers.

Who inspires your style?
I can't pinpoint out one person who inspires me. I basically wear what I like and like what I wear. I like bright colors, pencil skirts, scarves, blazers, and vintage dresses. These days I get inspired by images I see on Pinterest.

What is your favorite "fix-it" item?
The easiest way for me to get dressed is this: take a dress that's too short and tuck it into a skirt. You've got the look of a blouse and it won't rise up and show your back!

Where is your favorite place to shop?
Ohhhh, just one? Impossible! Online: Asos.com, Etsy.com, Nextdirect.com Major Department Store: Nordstrom Thrift Stores: Salvation Army, Goodwill, St. Vincent De Paul, Savers.


If you could send out one word of advice to Pentecostal girls everywhere, what would it be?
Be authentic. Be true to yourself. Don't get caught up in trying to look like, act like, speak like, or be like anyone else. Hold on to your personal convictions.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for including me on your blog, Amber!

    Chandra
    MoMoMod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing the interview for me!!! :) Your blog really inspires me! It's nice to have someone that will step out and have their own, unique style, and not be afraid to encourage others to do the same.

      Delete